THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Grilled Cheese Done Right! The Ultimate Grilled Cheese By Ina Garten
Stop whatever you’re doing. Growing up, who didn’t love grilled cheese? Just about every kid I knew. As an adult, I still absolutely love grilled cheese. I am sure you do. So go to the store right now and get these ingredients. You won’t regret it so again Drop everything and head to the store to buy some cheese.
You see, you’re making this grilled cheese sandwich tonight. Ina says it’s the ultimate, and ultimate it is. Forget everything you thought you knew about grilled cheese. A little bacon, a Dijon mustard mix, and a mix of Gruyere and cheddar cheese makes this sandwich exploding with nostalgia and flavor!
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup good mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 white pullman loaf or sourdough bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick (12 slices)
- 6 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 6 oz aged Gruyere
- 6 oz extra-sharp Cheddar, such as Cabot
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the bacon on a baking rack set over a sheet pan in a single layer and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until nicely browned. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels and cut in 1-inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Lay 12 slices of bread on a board and spread each one lightly with butter. Flip the slices and spread each one generously with the mayonnaise mixture. Don’t neglect the corners!
- Grate the cheese in a food processor fitted with the largest grating disk and combine. Distribute the bacon evenly on half the slices of bread. Pile 1/3 cup grated cheese evenly on top of the bacon and top with the remaining bread slices, sauce side down.
- Form sandwiches, pressing each one down. Butter the top half of each sandwich. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large nonstick skillet and grill buttered-side up, flipping after a few minutes. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.