THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Apple Sauerkraut Quesadillas
This combination may seem unusual, until you try it. The sweet & tartness of the apple, creaminess of the cheese and the adding of the sauerkraut work together beautifully in this easy hot sandwich. Serve it with your favorite chips or a side salad. Makes for a great light lunch or a light dinner! It can always be served alone as an appetizer.
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 cup(s) sauerkraut
- 2 medium tortilla(s), flour
- 1 1/3 cup(s) cheese, cheddar, reduced-fat grated
- 1 small apple(s), Granny Smith (or other tart, juicy apple), peeled and very thinly sliced
1. Put sauerkraut and water in a medium nonreactive skillet. Gently heat just until the liquid has evaporated but not so much that the sauerkraut begins to stick to the pan. Remove from the heat.
2. Gradually heat a large cast-iron over medium heat. Put one tortilla in the pan and immediately sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over half of it. Quickly arrange about half the apple slices over the cheese, then top with half the sauerkraut, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle with another 1/3 cup cheese.