THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Taco Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Am I the only one, when they heard of and then saw spaghetti squash and thought to yourself, now what? The first time was an utter disaster. I tried boiling the damn thing and then tried to shred the spaghetti squash out of the shell, remove the seeds, and mix with sauce. Let me tell you it was not fun! For the most part I am carb conscious, so I did some research of other methods of cooking spaghetti squash as an alternative to your traditional spaghetti. I wanted something lite and something healthy. I came across tons of recipes that you roast the spaghetti squash in the oven. I thought to myself this definitely has to be easier than the boiling method. Being a fan of Mexican food, I decided to make the spaghetti squash into a Mexican bake by stuffing the shell with a yummy mix of ground turkey, the spaghetti, and a bunch of seasonings! Melt delicious cheese and then topping with lettuce and tomato. It’s easy and low carb. It’s Great for a week day dinner! Enjoy! Time to get off this train and make me some!
- 3 small spaghetti squash (24 oz each)
- olive oil spray
- 1 lb 93% ground turkey
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 tbsp bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup part-skim shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and soft yellow strands. Spray the inside of the squash with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Place the squash facedown on the baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown turkey in a large skillet breaking it into smaller pieces as it cooks. When no longer pink add dry seasoning and mix well. Add the onion, pepper, water and tomato sauce and cover. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Combine the ingredients for the toppings and set aside in a bowl in the fridge.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the inside so the strands appear. Spoon scant 1/2 cup meat inside each squash bowl. Top each with 2 tbsp cheese and transfer them to the oven and bake another 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, top with the topping mixture.
Check out these other amazing Low Carb recipes on MealswithMark: