THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Cape Verdean Pastel
I’m Cape Verdean and growing up my favorite snack my mother would make was pastel. When I was old enough to learn, my mom taught me how to make it, And now I make it regularly and share it with my friends and family. Everyone I have made it for absolutely love it! Maybe not as much as me, but pretty close. It’s deep fried dough stuffed with a spicy tuna mixture with the flavors of the Cape Verde islands. It tastes amazing!!! I’m sure a lot of people reading this blog post have never heard of Cape Verde. Don’t worry I get that a lot! The majority of the time I just tell people to google it! But I will save you the trouble and keep you on my blog!
Cape Verde or Cabo Verde is an island country of 10 volcanic islands in the central Atlantic Ocean off the coast of West Africa. The islands were discovered and colonized by the Portuguese in the 15th century and was a trading center for slaves and later important in the coaling, whaling, and transatlantic shipping industries. Cape Verde obtained its independence in 1975. The majority of the Cape Verdeans population are from mixed European and Africa background (A mix of African, Portuguese, Italian, French, and English).
1 pkg. Goya pastry Disc
1 lg. Can of tuna
1 small yellow onion finely chopped
1tsp. Garlic powder
1 tbsp tobasco (can add more depending on desired spicyness)
1tbsp. Fresh Parsley finely chopped
1 pkg of sazon
*Cut discs in half to make 20 pastels
*For this recipe I recommend a deep fryer. If you don’t have a deep fryer make sure it’s a deep frying pan. It works just as good. You want to put enough oil so the pastels are submerged when frying!
- Mix the tuna, 2 eggs, garlic, tobasco, onion, parsley, paprika, sazon. (Mix like your making scrambled eggs)
- In a preheated frying pan. Cook the tuna mixture. Stirring frequently until the mixture is dry. Set aside
- Take another deep frying pan and fill with oil. Enough to cover the pastels and heat on medium to low heat
- Make sure the Goya pastry discs are thawed prior to making. You are going to cut them in half! The package comes with 10 discs and it will yield 29 pastels. After cutting the disc take half and stretch it a little using your fingers!
- Take a spoonful of the tuna mixture and place in center of the disc and fold over. Taking a fork, seal the sides and then poke a couple holes on top just enough to let the air out when frying.
- Do this until all the discs are filled and sealed leaving them on a serving platter.
- Fry them in the preheated pan turning to make sure both sides are golden brown.
- When they are done drain them with a slotted spoon and cook them on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the grease!
- Continue frying up batches until all the Pastel is done!
Pastel can be eaten warm or cold! After you try them once, you are going to want to double this recipe! After eating one, you will notice how quickly they disappear. They are just as addictive as chocolate or potato chips!