THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
After trying this grilled cheese recipe, you will never try sloppy joe without cheese again! Growing up as kids, my sister and I looked forward to sloppy joe night. I don’t know if it was more the yummy taste or that it was messy and it was okay to be messy on Sloppy Joe night! And boy did we like to get messy! Ok my sister did, I didnt like to get dirty, LOL. Sloppy Joe’s have been a sandwich staple for decades and grilled cheese has been too, so why not combine the two to create a double delicious nostalgic sandwich! What’s great about combining the two, the melted cheesy goodness holds the sloppy joe meat mixture more together than a traditional Sloppy Joe, making it a lot less sloppy and just as delicious! I hope you enjoy this great combination of two of my favorites as much as I did!
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. ketchup
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 8 slices sandwich bread (I prefer rye bread, but sourdough works well too!)
- 2 c. shredded Cheddar
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onions. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain fat.
- Stir in ketchup, garlic, brown sugar, mustard, and chili powder and season generously with salt and pepper. Simmer until thick, 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a plate and clean skillet.
- Assemble sandwich: Butter one side of each piece of bread. Place one sliceof bread buttered side down in skillet and spoon over sloppy joe mixture.Top with 1/2 cup cheddar and one more slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook over medium heat until bread is golden and cheese melty, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve with potato chips for a quick dinner
Check out these other incredible recipes for cooked sandwiches !